Friday, June 02, 2006

Hmpfh...

I was over at Chris's site this morning, reading about the new Left Behind Games.

Folks, this is all shades of wrong. I mean, I knew LaHaye was a lunatic and all, but this is taking things a bit too far. I think this gets away from what Christianity is all about... Jesus was a pacifist, refusing to engage in any type of military war (which was expected of the Messiah)... he taught about turning the other cheek, about loving others, and issued stern warnings against the "moral majority" of his day. Anyways.... here's a summary of the game:

Wage a war of apocalyptic proportions in LEFT BEHIND: Eternal Forces - a real-time strategy game based upon the best-selling LEFT BEHIND book series created by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. Join the ultimate fight of Good against Evil, commanding Tribulation Forces or the Global Community Peacekeepers, and uncover the truth about the worldwide disappearances!

· Lead the Tribulation Force from the book series , including Rayford, Chloe, Buck and Bruce against Nicolae Carpathia – the AntiChrist.
· Conduct physical & spiritual warfare : using the power of prayer to strengthen your troops in combat and wield modern military weaponry throughout the game world.
· Recover ancient scriptures and witness spectacular Angelic and Demonic activity as a direct consequence of your choices.
· Command your forces through intense battles across a breathtaking, authentic depiction of New York City .
· Control more than 30 units types - from Prayer Warrior and Hellraiser to Spies, Special Forces and Battle Tanks!
· Enjoy a robust single player experience across dozens of New York City maps in Story Mode – fighting in China Town , SoHo , Uptown and more!
· Play multiplayer games as Tribulation Force or the AntiChrist's Global Community Peacekeepers with up to eight players via LAN or over the internet!


Gah, gah, gah, gah, gah, gah, gah, gah, GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? A Christian company is promoting violence.... pardon me while I go throw up. This just makes me sick.........

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Well...I want to respond to you but I certaintly don't want to offend you either. First of all, I'm no expert on ANYTHING. So please forgive my ignorance to a broad degree. Maybe you could look at this as a friendly debate type response? But ummmm....isn't most of the Bible about war? And God winning it? I'm kind of inclined to think that Jesus is a warrior of sorts. Just not with a sword, but with the Word of God. And David slew Goliath with a stone and a sling shot, not bouquet of flowers. On the other hand I can see what you mean about Christianity not being about violence. It's about love. But it's also about fighting for God. I'm interested in hearing more about what you think. It's really a fascinating topic. By the way...I think the Left Behind movies are absolutely wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for your comment on Chris' blog - and I mean thankful in a you said so much better way than I ever could spirit.

Unfortunately, violence is a part of our human existence. I don't think God is very happy about that - because what causes punches/shots firing/full scale wars but a hunger for power, domination, control? And in this day and time, a lack of communication. A disregard for our fellow humans.

I personally believe that Tim LaHaye lost his mind a long time ago, that he's feeding his personal psychosis to millions of people who are blindly following his ideas and accepting it for biblical truth. I could go into his personal political beliefs and the money and pressure he's pouring into systems that wish to dismantle Israel and trigger "the end of the world." but I won't. The book of Revelation is so much more than what he portrays. It was extremely freeing for me to learn this, as it took away my terror and anxiety over so many things.

I'm sorry to go off in your comments -perhaps I should take this to my own blog - but it is something I feel strongly over.

Isabel said...

These games are so odd to me. I just don't get it.

I'm with you...Jesus is about LOVE. And although the Bible is about war and what not...that doesn't mean we need to have our kids play games about killing people.

End of story.