Wednesday, September 27, 2006

To Blog, or Not to Blog, That is the Question

There's been some discussion around our house about not blogging anymore. Mostly, I've been discussing it with Forrest. You see, it's really hard to find time during the day to blog. And, I'm becoming more and more uncomfortable about writing some things. You see, a lot of people I know read this. And people I don't know too, but I'm worried that I may slip up and say something I shouldn't... or worse, that I may somehow reveal information about our family that could put us in danger.

I know, I know, this is paranoia, but still... It's a thought that I've been wrestling with. There's a fine dance between sharing stories and telling too much. And I dance that line a lot. Or at least I feel I do. You see, I'm a firm believer in full transparency with friends. Close friends. And it's easy to view this blog as a "friend" that I can tell all of my problems to. The thing of it is, not everyone out there is my friend. Or at least, not close enough for me to share some of the information I want to share.

I've thought about starting another blog, completly annonymous, but then what would be the point of me writing?? I struggle with that as it is, as often I feel my writing is poor, sloppy, and uninspired. Yes, it's wonderful for family to catch up with what Shepherd is doing, but I can do that with a password protected blog and all. As for the rest of the readers, I don't feel I have much of an audience anymore (mostly due to the fact that I have no time to comment on other people's sites, and often don't respond to comments because of time issues... for that I'm sorry).

Granted, this blog has served as a wonderful tool for getting my thoughts out on paper. It's also introduced me to one of my only close friends right now, who also blogs. I wouldn't trade that friendship for the world, and I admit that the friendship would not have even developed had it not been for our blogs. I also feel that there are things that mothers go through that we can share for others to see and learn from.... if only to discover that we aren't the only ones in the world struggling with this whole motherhood thing. I like to think that what I write may help someone out there understand that we are not alone. We are in this together. But lately... I don't feel like I make that difference. I feel that my writings are redundant to all the other mothers writing out there. (And no, I'm not looking for pity here, I'm just being honest) This has kept me from writing... that and the fact that almost everyone I know in real life reads this or knows about my blog. It's kind of hard to write honestly when you know that someone out there, who you know face to face in real life, is reading.

So if I spout off about how arrogant George Bush is, and how I cannot stand to watch the man on TV, and how I can't stand the Republican Party right now, I'm treking into things I wouldn't normally discuss with half of the people in real life. I would never talk about politics with people from home (besides my family). It's just something I don't do... not because I don't buy what I believe... no, it's actually to preserve those friendships. You see, in real life, politics aren't the pinnicle of importance in my friendships. Sure it's nice to have someone to gab about the state of things with, but I can be friends with a Republican, just as much as I can be friends with a Democrat. So as a matter of self-preservation, I just don't talk politics.

I use politics as only one little example. There are a million other things that I could talk about, but don't... simply because people know who I am. I understand now why authors often use a fake name when they author books.

So what do you think I should do? (If there's anyone out there reading anymore... and judging from the responses, I'll kind of know who read and who doesn't) Should I pack up shop, and close the doors on TwoPinkLines? Should I keep on blogging here? Or should I create another blog, completely annonymous, and lose all of my current readers??? How do you handle these things??

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The art of debate my dear is part of life. If youre scared what your friends think about your stance on politics then I dont know.. I mean call me ignorant then cause politics are just that and there is so much more.. You should embrace the opportunity this blog has offered to be yourself no questions asked. I dont comment alot but I read daily cause it always good to read about the struggles...

Anonymous said...

cont. An anonymous blog can ease on the tensions and it helps gather thoughts and definately allows more freedom in expression. But take it from me a loyal reader you will be missed if you choose otherwise.. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Well, I read, even if I don't always comment. I enjoy your writing, and would miss you on my bloglines if you quit.

However, you have to do what is right for you and your family. Only you can make that choice.

If you stay, I'll be here.

Anonymous said...

Tough question. I wrestle with the idea of posting photos of myself or my life on my own blog, and took months to "out" myself as a blogger to a select group of friends.

There's no harm in "yelling out into the void" via anonymous blogging, and nothing would prevent you from re-establishing yourself if you chose to make a comeback. Just a matter of visiting other blogs and networking a bit.

Don't fret about it, just figure out what you are comfy with. :)

Beth Fish said...

I think it is entirely up to you, but I hope you don't stop. I think you write very well, and I think it is an important part of expressing who you are.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. Life is redundant and so is my blog, and it's hard to balance between the readers who know me (i.e. interested in what I did over the weekend) and those who don't who might be looking for a better story or more structured entries. I have decided just to post whatever I feel like posting, and if people quit reading, I don't blame them. I for one enjoy your blog to see what Shepherd is doing so I can prepare for "what's next"!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading you! Hope you stick with it! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I've toyed with the idea of starting my own blog, but haven't yet due to a. time, b. fear, and c. many of the reasons that you mentioned.

So, while I certainly appreciate why you would want to stop, I selfishly hope that you don't! Your blog is one of a few that I subscribe to via Bloglines, and I look forward to your posts.

I appreciate hearing about the joys and challenges of motherhood, and it is refreshing to hear the voice of someone who is not thrilled with Bush (understatement!), but also comfortable talking about their faith in God.

My 2 cents...

Somewhere in the Midwest

Kristin said...

Hey Corrine-

I still read your blog on a daily basis :)

Your blog along with Reesh & Avorie will always hold a special place in my heart. These were the first blogs I read & the first moms-to-be to comment on mine.

You know what's best for you & your family & if "de-blogging" is it, then I think we'll all understand. I would miss you a whole lot though.

suzspeaks said...

Hey Corinne...

I still read, but not as often as I'd like. I don't get to post as often either. Time is the hardest for me to manage. I've struggled w/ the whole blog thing too. For the most part, I like it. I like that our families & friends that don't get to see Jaxon all the time, get a chance to "watch" him grow. I feel like I'm on that line too, where you want to share more, but know you shouldn't. I actually started an anomyous blog, but realized that it really wasn't that fun if I had no comments!!

I just wanted you to know that I'm still here, I'd miss you & I like Shepherd!!

Lisselle said...

I read your blog every day. I love the way you write, and I love that Oscar was born the day before Shepherd. (21st February 2006.) I have so enjoyed seeing the two boys p[ass milestones together.. marvelling as Shepherd sat up and crawled, whilst Oscar is still bellyflopping like a big fish! loving your stories and emotions, which so reflect mine!
I hope you dont delete, but I also understand if you do! I started a blog, wrote in it for 3 days, then freaked and deleted it! All those fears! But still.. my mornings wouldnt be the same without checking on you and Shepherd.

Do what is righjt for you and your family. :)

If you stay, Ill be here. If you go, I wish you and your lovely Family all the best forever!

Felicity. :)

Lisselle said...

Doh! Oscar was born the day AFTER Shepherd. :)

Anonymous said...

I read. I always read. I love catching up on what is going on with you guys. If you stop, I understand. If you migrate to something more anonymous.. I hope you let me in on your secret.

Whatever you decide, I will stand behind you.. but I would miss you terribly if you went away.

Anonymous said...

As you can tell from how long it's taken me to leave a comment, I too am having a hard time with this whole blogging business. I still love the community I have built up and I still love reading other peoples blogs, but oy is it ever hard to find the time. So much so that at times I find it would be easier to just quit altogether cause then it would just be one less thing in my life that I have to do. But then somehow I find the time, Lily inspires me and voila I've done it again. And I hear you totally on not being able to be 100% true as I too have a lot of real life people reading my blog, I still don't have an answer for that one though, as I an anonymous blog seems to miss the point of the community. When will I quit? Maybe when you quit, then the two pink line's can go down together in a blaze of glory!!

Isabel said...

I know exactly what you mean, and I understand. You gotta do what you gotta do.

(I have a seperate "protected" blog just for family and friends that don't live near us. It's a fun way for them to see what's going on with us. It really is a great way for my parents to be involved daily!)