Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sleep, glorious sleep

So... yeah. I slept last night. Shepherd slept. And we both woke up so happy, I'm surprised we aren't shooting rainbows and giggles out of our butts. The past three days have to have been the hardest three days in a long time. Not just with the lack of sleeping going on around here, but the dealing with some important issues involving a brief moment where it looked as though I'd have to head back to work. Not a fun topic to deal with. But in the end, we figured a way for me to stay home
That was a close one. Don't scare me like that again mommy.

Also, I've been struggling with my ADHD (go ahead, give me the standard eye-roll and lecture on how overdiagnosed it is, and how overmedicated we as a society are. What you don't know is that I have research to back up the fact that women often aren't diagnosed until early adulthood and even then, sometimes never diagnosed, so nyah, nyah, nyah). It's hard, because while nursing I can't resume my medication, and thusly really struggle to stay orgnanized, or at least maintain some semblance of organization. So, hence the visit to my family doctor in a few weeks to discuss options (giving up nursing? or stay off the meds?)
Y'all want proof of mommy's lack of organization? Exhibit A: Me wearing an oversized pink shirt that looks like a dress on me... because mommy forgot my shirt at home.

Anyways moving on... so last night, we resumed the rice cereal. We had stopped for a while because Shepherd was being so fussy at night, and I didn't know if it was the cereal or something else. He continued to be fussy after a week off of the cereal, so we determined that it wasn't that. So last night? We started over. And 'lo, how happy he was to be eating the gunky rice cereal again. So happy that he'd wave his arms in excitement and try to grab our hands or the spoon to pull it to his mouth... resulting in lots of cereal everywhere (including his hair). But all in all, it was grand.
Dude, this stuff is so awesome. Why have you been holding out on me mom?

And after dinner, we had to give him a bath, because seriously, rice cereal in the hair.
Dad, could you tell the lady with the camera to please lay off? I'm kinda exposed here...

Then it was off to bed. I don't know if it was a result of the rice cereal, or if it was just a stroke of luck? But Shepherd went to sleep around 8:45 (he ate at 7:45) and didn't wake up until 4:45 this morning to eat. Sleep glorious sleep...
To sleep, perchance to dream...

So today? Is looking like a wonderful day... shooting rainbows and gumdrops out of our butts kind of good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone suggested that we try early feedings *in* the bathtub, since they're so messy. But eating in the tub seems so weird!

Good luck with the organization/ADHD stuff. But I don't know that forgetting a shirt counts as evidence -- it sounds like normal mom-to-an-infant to me. Or maybe I have undiagnosed ADHD!

VHMPrincess said...

Hey - two questions!

Getting to stay home! Congrats! I bet you're relieved!!!

Also - Shepard sleeps w/that blanket thing? Tyler would LOVE to sleep w/his, do you think it's OK?

Isabel said...

So glad that you are feeling better.

And HOORAY for not having to go back to work!

Avorie said...

Love the pics!

Good luck deciding what to do about nursing. I feel for you because I also had to choose between nursing and my health. Ultimately, bottle feeding isn't terrible. I cried the first few times I saw other mother's nurse in front of me though.

If you do give up nursing, be sure to take some pictures first. I love looking at the ones my Hubby took of Lilly and I just before we started formula.

Oh, and cabbage leaves really do dry up your milk supply. You smell like rotting cabbage (change them every couple of hours or you won't be able to stand it), but it's worth it to end the pain and discomfort.

Adi said...

I've been reading you for a while now and thought I'd let you know I really like your blog. Shepard is so adorable.

liz said...

Hooray for sleep! And hooray for staying home!
Shepard is one lucky fella

suzspeaks said...

Shepherd is getting SO BIG!! I'm so happy for you that you get to stay home!!

Anonymous said...

Your son is SO GORGEOUS!! Love your pics and looking forward to reading about your adventures. You're 2 months ahead of me so perhaps you can prepare me!