Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tender Moments


This past weekend, and the early part of this week, Shepherd has been staying in our room with us because we have guests in the house. The guest bed is in Shepherd's room, so we kick the baby out and move him in with us. The disadvantage to this is that I hear every little peep that Shepherd makes, and sometimes, we wake him up with a trip to the bathroom or something. But besides that, there is one thing I love about having Shepherd stay in our room. I love pulling him into bed with us to snuggle early in the morning.

This morning, I was sitting there cuddling with him, and holding his hand (he tends to be grabby and grabs my hair and yanks, so I was gently keeping his hands occupied as to not lose more hair). I sat there, holding his hand, and rubbing it, and realized how incredible little, delicate, and soft it was. I sat there, holding it, and thinking about how fast he has grown. He's almost 6 months old, and has grown so much already. His hands are huge now, and we wonder if he has a promising career as a basketball player. Or maybe a farmer. Either way, his hands are big... yet they are so small! As I caressed his hands, I felt as though I was in some sort of dream... that nothing in this world could be this precious, that nothing could be this sweet... and nothing could feel as good as the tiny fingers wrapping their cool flesh around the edges of my hand. And though it felt like a dream, I knew it to be reality, and at once, I was happy... not just silly happy, but truly happy... the deep in my heart kind of happy, because this life that I've been given, as Shepherd's mom, is so precious... and I'm reminded all over again how much I love it. I would trade NOTHING in this world for my time with my son... there is nothing that I would change.

4 comments:

Forrest said...

Wonderful post :-)

I can totally identify.

Anonymous said...

Exactly.

Beautifully put. I think the same thoughts, but I'm nowhere near as eloquent. Thank you.

Jenni said...

That is fabulous. You give me more to look forward to with my own son.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Nice!

My daughter has that exact same box toy. I had to turn off the sound, it was driving us crazy.