Friday, August 11, 2006

All is good and right in the world

(a good sign that I simply do not have time to read the news, nor watch it anymore, and acording to Forrest, the world is going to hell in a handbasket)

But really... everything is A-Okay now...

Why?

I drove past a Harris Teeter being built near my house. Yes, they have finally heard my cry and are building a Harris Teeter JUST. FOR. ME.!!!! I know I know, this is super silly, and those of you who don't care about that sort of thing, probably think of me as simple-minded or weird at best. But you know what? Harris Teeter is a part of "Home" for me. It symbolizes everything good about the South, and everything I miss. And a part of "Home" has come to me, and that warms me to the heart. It makes living here in this crazy jumble of people doable. It makes those 30-45 minutes I'm shopping seem like eternity, and when I walk through those automatic doors into the Mecca of the shopping world, I am suddenly transported to my southern roots, and for amoment, I can pretend I"m back there, back where they serve Sweet Tea. Back where Bojangles rules the breakfast world (and dinner too). Back where the air is clear and the grass is greener...

All is well, my friends... *sigh* All is well...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there; delurking in praise of Harris Teeter!

I too grew up in the south, but now I live in the Midwest where the grocery stores have strange names like Jewel, Dominick's, Quillians, and Festival. We don't even shop at these places much in favor of the smaller (i.e. no aisle overload) co-op and farmer's market, but still I miss Harris Teeter (Piggly Wiggly or Kroger would due in a pinch!). So maybe when your new Harris Teeter opens, you could tell them to head west like Laura Ingalls Wilder or Lewis and Clark? I promise that with I-90 the trip would be easier.

P.S. Sheppard is just adorable!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm so embarrassed! I got so excited about Harris Teeter that I spelled Shepherd's name wrong! I'm so sorry!!!

Anonymous said...

Harris Teeter? It's a grocery store? Never been in one. We have Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and there's a Winn-Dixie in the next town.

Tomika said...

OMG - I love you because you mentioned Bojangles! I love Bojangles with every fiber in me. I eat it twice a day during all of mty trips back home to NC!! And Harris Teeter...LOVE IT!! I used to go there in the middle of the night during college. And the cookies? I used to beg my dad to take me to the grocery store withhim just to get a free Harris Teeter cookie! too bad you had to be 12 and under to take advantage of that deal!! People here in Texas don't understand why I periodically go to the Bojangles websitye just to hear the jingle!! They have no idea what they are missing out on...